The objective of the Family Class is to reunite close family members in Canada. The Government of Canada has a strong commitment to keeping close family members together whenever possible. Therefore the processing of Family Class Applications is a high priority at Canadian Visa Offices
The Dependent Child Sponsorship Program
Both natural and adopted dependent children may be sponsored to live with their parents as Permanent Residents. Currently the eligible age for a dependent is 21 or younger.
Eligibility To Sponsor a Dependent Child
- You must be at least 18 years of age
- You must be a Canadian Citizen or a Permanent Resident residing in Canada
- You must not be in prison, bankrupt, under a removal order or charged with a serious offence
Requirements For The Sponsored Child
- A dependent child is 21 years old or younger, not married or in a common law relationship.
- The child must be the biological child of the parent and must not have been adopted by another person or the child must be legally adopted by the person.
- If the dependent child is 22 or older then they must satisfy one of the following in order to be considered a dependent:
- They have been an ongoing full time student since before the age of 22 and are financially dependent on the support of their parents.
- They suffer from a physical or mental disability and therefore have been financially dependent on the support of their parents since before the age of 22.